This month, iModules will be releasing an Encompass update that will allow users to flag constituents that have been identified as GDPR applicable. This new field will automatically be added to your iModules database and can be activated when querying data to specifically include or exclude EU constituents protected under the GDPR. It is your institutions responsibility to define how you will populate and maintain this field as each institution will need to define this consistently through their systems. This could be leveraging current mailing address location, citizenship, or other mechanisms.
With this field comes the creation of a new role that will allow you to segment your GDPR constituents even further. As a reminder, roles can be used to customize what people see in a form and therefore, allow you to target a specific group of constituents in your system based on a value they have for a particular field. Typical ways roles are used to limit or control Encompass functionality:
- Audience of a page – limit who can view a page
- Audience of a piece of content – limit certain content on a page
- Recipient list for an email – target who receives certain communications
- Audience for content within an email – target content within a particular communication
- Audience for fields and categories in a form, event, donation or membership campaign – variable fields within forms, events, donations, memberships
This new role will allow you to easily target and segment constituents you’ve identified as protected by the GDPR for a more seamless user experience.
Right now you should be working on the definition of ‘who’ GDPR applies to for your institution, so the next steps of how you communicate with that population is consistent and clear.
Look for the new GDPR applicable field in the mid-April release notes. Over the next month we’ll be sharing additional information on how to flag any GDPR-protected constituents you have identified and provide suggestions on how to interact and potentially suppress content from certain areas of your site like the directory opt-in and email settings