- Provides an opportunity to gain experience using the new tools before the existing workflow and editor are replaced.
- The beta features do not impact or alter existing email sending functionality, so your current processes don't need to change.
What is the timeline for the new Email Marketing tools?
- April 23 - 27, 2018 - Sender Identities was released.
- April 30, 2018 - Beta Email Marketing Reporting transitioned to be the main Email Marketing Reporting. Legacy Email Marketing Reporting can be accessed, but data won't update.
- May 10, 2018 - The first day for sending with the new Email Marketing tools was announced.
- June 2018 - The new Email Home will be released. This will allow you to start messages, edit messages, and schedule. The HTML only option will be a part of this release.
- July 2018 - The ability to upload a CSV of IDs, mark Data Viewer items to be used as an Email Segment, and the List and Segment Manager admin right will be released.
- August 2018 - Segments can be assigned to a message.
- August 28, 2018 (7:00 AM Central) - Messages can be sent from the new Email Marketing tools.
- Fall 2018 - The remaining Audience option (CSV of emails) will be released.
- Fall 2018 - Role based content functionality will be released.
- January 4, 2019 (7:00 PM Central) - the Legacy Email Marketing tools will no longer be used for sending messages.
What should I be doing right now?
- You should be rebuilding the templates that you'll need in the new Email Marketing tools.
- Having the templates built now allows you to learn the new editor and be prepared for additional options that will be coming out (Audience).
- You should be creating Sender Identities.
How do I access the beta tools?
- The beta tools are available from the Email Marketing menu in the far right panel.
Will I be able to view my Email History after the new Email Marketing tools are live?
- The Email History will be accessible via a menu option for clients who would like to look at historical emails.
- The Email History will be "view only" once the Legacy Email tools are no longer used for sending messages. At that point, you will not be able to "reuse" an email from this area.
What components make up the new Email Marketing tools?
- There are several components (some still to be released) that make up the new Email Marketing tools.
- The components are:
- Email Marketing Homepage - this will be your new launching point for starting messages from a template or HTML. To be released
- Dynamic Content Style Manager - this area will be used to create styles for dynamic content (RSS Feed Events Feed, Events - select specific content, News Feed (April 9), News - select specific content). Released
- Template Editor/Email Editor - the editor being used to create templates will be the same editor used to edit email message body content. Templates/email messages will need to contain sender tokens and the unsubscribe token. Released
- Sender Identities - creating Sender Identities allows you to control the information provided in the sender tokens (example - information that is usually found in the footer and meets CAN-SPAM compliance). Released
- Audience - Audience will be your starting point for determining who your message will be sent to. Audience selection will be made up of Lists (email address files) and Segments (saved Data Viewer queries) as well as uploading a CSV of ID numbers. To be released
- Preview - send previews to up to 20 people. Released
- Schedule - schedule your message at any point in the message creation process. Messages can be sent at any time. To be released
- Reporting - Beta Email Marketing Reporting became the primary reporting tool on April 30, 2018 when the current Email Marketing Reporting becomes a Legacy product. Released
Will training be available as new components are released?
- Yes, live and recorded training sessions will be available for new components as they are released.
- Live training sessions will be posted on the Live Training Sessions page.
- Recordings will be found on the Recorded Training Sessions page.
When will A/B testing be available?
- A/B testing is currently under investigation. The full Email Marketing tools need to be released before work can begin on this initiative.
How will I pick my audience?
- With the new Email Marketing tools, we will be using the term Audience when referencing who your message will be sent to.
- The Audience will be built using Lists (uploaded files containing email addresses in addition to other data values), Segments (saved Data Viewer queries), and uploading a CSV of ID numbers.
- Creating Lists and Segments will be controlled by a new administrative right called List and Segment Manager. Superadmins will be able to work with Lists and Segments without adding the new administrative right.
- All of the Email Marketing admins will be able to upload a CSV of ID numbers.
Will I need to reassign administrative rights?
- You may need to adjust administrative rights for some individuals depending on what you need them to do.
- For example, some Email Marketing only admins (Communication Admins, Email Author, Advanced HTML Email Author) will be unable to build or edit Lists and Segments (discussed in the question above). If an individual assigned to one of the rights listed needs to be able to build or edit Lists and Segments, you would need to make them a List and Segment Manager.
What administrative rights could I assign to work with new Email Marketing tools?
- Superadmin - will continue to have access to all of the Email Marketing functionality. No new rights will need to be added for Email Marketing unless access to the HTML only message option is needed.
- Communications Admin - will continue to have access to all of the Email Marketing functionality. This admin won't be able to create or edit lists and segments unless placed into the Lists and Segment Manager right. If access to the HTML only message option is needed, the Advanced HTML Email Author right will need to be assigned.
- Email Author - will be able to work with almost all of the new Email Marketing functionality. This right still won't be able to release an email. This admin won't be able to create or edit lists and segments. If access to the HTML only message option is needed, the Advanced HTML Email Author right will need to be assigned.
- Advanced HTML Email Author - with this administrative right added to the Communications Admin or Email Author, an individual can work with an HTML only message. This admin won't be able to create or edit lists and segments unless placed into the Lists and Segment Manager right.
- Reporting Lite - with this right, you can grant access to view Beta Email Marketing Reporting without being able to move into the drill down reports. New Right, not yet released
- Template and Style Manager - with this administrative right, individuals will be able to create templates as well as create styles in the Dynamic Content Style Manager. New Right, not yet released
- List and Segment Manager - with this administrative right, individuals will be responsible for creating and editing lists (email address files) and building query-based segments. Lists and Segments will be used in the Audience selection area for an email. New Right, not yet released
Will I be able to reuse draft and sent messages?
- Yes, you will still have the option to reuse draft and sent messages.
Will I be able to easily identify draft and released messages?
- Yes, the messages will be easy to identify.
- Drafts will display on one tabbed area of the homepage.
- Released messages will display on a different tabbed area of the homepage.
- Both of the areas will display the messages as cards.
- Sent messages will continue to be accessible from the homepage and will be contained in a grid as opposed to cards.
Examples of the cards:
In the current tools, green check marks in the draft grid display for areas that have been worked with. How will this be shown in the new tools?
- The draft cards will provide links to click on.
- Quick links make it easy to see the information that is missing or has been completed.
- The Release button appears after all required steps are complete.
Will the same Email Details be required when starting a message?
- Only one item will be required (Email Name) to start a message.
- The other items can be added later.
In the current tools, I need to decide what type of message I want to send at the very beginning. How will this work in the new tools?
- After you start a message, a Draft card will be created.
- From there, you can either use HTML (dependent upon administrative rights) or a Template.
- This provides you incredible flexibility to determine how to create the message as well as flexibility in scheduling.
Is there any documentation I can use to help train my staff and volunteers?
- There is a section called Staff and Volunteer Training.
- Sample step-by-step instructions will be available in this area by late June.
- The instructions will continue to be modified as additional functionality is released.