Reusable Instance Fields allow a new field to be added to a form as reusable, and then from another form of the same type (i.e., fields marked as reusable for Events will be available in the Reusable Fields folder for other Events) you will be able to add this reusable field to the form. This option to make a field reusable is only available when creating new fields and cannot be applied to fields that already exist. When adding the reusable field to the form, the reusable field is found under the Add Existing Field option in a Reusable Fields folder.
For example, you could make a reusable "in honor of" or "in memory of" field to be used on multiple donations forms. Using reusable fields would cut down on the fields that are included in reconciliation reporting that is generated within a specific community. There would be just one "in honor of" field or one "in memory field" included in the report instead of one for every form.
- Creating Reusable Instance Fields
- Add an Existing (Reusable) Field
- Reporting and Reusable Fields
- Additional Business Rules
- Reusable fields are only available within the community/site they were created in
- In order for reusable fields to exist at the top level community (GID1) and be pushed down to sub-communities, an additional enhancement will need to be completed in a future sprint.
- At this time, having reusable fields at GID1 and then running a Reconciliation Report at GID1 and pulling in sealed communities will cause the reusable fields to be excluded from the report.
Creating Reusable Instance Fields
When creating a new field you'll see these three Data Storage Mode options:
- Normal – standard field creation that allows new data to overwrite old data (default setting). This is a field that can be filled out once and if a user fills out the field again it will overwrite any previous data that was entered at an earlier date.
- Instanced – regular instance field functionality. This type of field is used for forms that allow users to submit data multiple times without overwriting previous submissions, such as forms that are built for nominating multiple individuals.
- Reusable Instanced - functionality that allows this data field to be re-used within the same form type. These fields are designed similarly to instanced fields, but allow you to use the same field across the same type of module (such as events), and are available in all of the custom reporting, such as reconciliation reports.
The following types of instanced fields are NOT reusable:
- Time Zone Drop Down
- Social Security Number Text Box
- File Upload
- Hidden Value
- Dual Drop Down List
Add an Existing (Reusable) Field
When using Add Existing Fields within the same form type (i.e., fields marked as reusable for Events will be available in the Reusable Fields folder for other Events), Reusable Instanced fields can be found in the Reusable Fields folder.
Reporting and Reusable Fields
Reusable fields will be included as Selected Fields for Reconciliation Reports; however, you can remove them.
Reusable Fields will be added at the end of the member fields and before the transaction data in the Reconciliation Report. Only reusable fields created within the community/site in which the Reconciliation Report is being run will be available.
Additional Business Rules
- Reusable fields functionality are available on events, donations, memberships and commerce forms.
- For the first release, reusable fields that are created on forms, events, donations and memberships at GID1 will only be available for reuse within the same form type on GID1.
- Reusable fields that are created on forms, events, donations and memberships in a sealed sub-community or non-sealed sub-community will only be available for reuse within the same form type in the sub-community where they were created.
- Reusable fields are not able to drive registration for Events.
- Reusable fields cannot be cloned.