Multiple constituent records with the same email address
The rules that are followed by the Email Marketing system are implemented in the following order of preference when dealing with multiple constituent records with the same email address:
1. If there is only one record that is a constituent, that record is used.
2. If there are multiple records that are constituents and only one has a Constituent ID, that record is used. This will eliminate the non-member account for the email address.
3. If there are multiple records that are constituents and have Constituent IDs and only one has both First and Last Name, that record is used. This will prevent the scenario of multiple dummy Constituent IDs from legacy imports. NOTE: This is not applicable if all records have a blank Last Name and some have a First Name, for example. No preference would be given to those records with a First Name.
If needed, there are optional 4th and 5th criteria to narrow down to the final sending email address:
4. If there are multiple records that are constituents, have Constituent IDs, and have First and Last Names, the most recently updated record is used.
5. Lowest / Oldest Member ID (internal iModules system ID) is the final tie-breaker. The lowest Member ID (internal iModules system ID) was selected because that is most likely the original account for the constituent, since it is most likely the one that was originally imported / added to the online community.
- If there are multiple records that are constituents, have Constituent IDs, have First and Last Names, and have the same last updated date, the lowest Member ID is used.
- If there are multiple records that are constituents, have Constituent IDs, and have First and Last Names, the lowest Member ID is used.
The system will follow the above rules, BUT if the first email-able record is opted-out it will keep looking for other records with that email address that are NOT opted-out and will send to that record instead.
- Upload an email address file or use a custom list.
- Member record with email email@example.com is opted-out of that category or all emails from the site, marked invalid or otherwise not an email-able record. System will not send to that record
- Guest record with the same email address exists and is not opted out or invalid and is email-able – the system will send to this record instead.